I had a distinct idea when I started this painting what colours I wanted to use and how thick I wanted the paint to be, and how many layers upon layers I wanted, and what the general design would be. And none of it happened as planned. The colours were jarring and I added an intensely different colour over the others and presto! it worked. The end product wasn't as thick or consisted of as many layers as I had planned on, but I think I'm done and to add more would wreck things. The only idea that rang true throughout the process was the circle theme almost falling off the side of the painting, as if saying "c'mon! I'm ready to move forward! let's go already!"
So there you have it. Perhaps I should take myself out of the equation a bit more and just let the paints do their thing (since that seems to be what happens more often than not anyway!)