Wednesday, January 11, 2012

sea of glass

I haven't really planned this London trip very well - the day to day activities at least.  So I typed into google 'things to do in London' and up popped and exhibit of Dale Chihuly' at the Halcyon Gallery.  Holy Moly!  So off I went to check it out.  I wrote down the directions to get there and headed out.  Off the tube at Bond Street and up at street level I realized I'd gone the wrong way (there were two exit choices) but at some point I see New Bond Street, which is the one I wanted - yay me!  I kept wandering down and found the gallery, which thankfully let me take photos (no flash). 

Each piece is multiple thousands of dollars, and to date I had only seen 2 of his works up close: Minnesota's Children's Museum and Calgary's Salt Lik restaurant.  I only took one glass blowing class (oh, maybe you didn't know - Dale Chihuly is the best glass artist in the world - see more here)... okay so I've only taken one glass blowing glass and I wasn't very good at it but it did open my eyes to the beauty of glass, not just for the look but the form as well.  I am usually left wondering "how did he do that?" when I see anything of his.  I still don't know.  The sculptures are incredibly massive, and delicate, and intricate.  Shipping them must be a total nightmare.  (yes, I always end up thinking of the practical side of things).

One of the installations was like a sea of glass, and make me think of 'Ship of Fools' by Robert Plant, so why don't you play that song while you check out the photos of the exhibit.

Enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment